History

2019

The Downtown East merger.

 In November 2019, three Salvation Army churches from Moss Park (Harbour Light), Regent Park (Corps 614), and Cabbagetown (Warehouse Mission) merged to form The Salvation Army Downtown East. We kept the River and Jarvis Street locations to continue running our community church and family services centre operations under the new name.

1990

Transitional housing.

The Salvation Army operated many social programs out of their Harbour Light facility. Just next door to their main building was this old, residential home at 152 Jarvis Street, which was used as transitional housing for clients in the late 1990's.

1953

Founding year.

The Salvation Army Harbour Light Toronto was founded in 1953 by Major Josh Monk. It's first location was

280 Queen Street West.

2007

From citadel to dance studio.

In 2007, The Salvation Army Citadel (est. circa 1912)

on 304 Parliament Street in Regent Park sold to Citadel + Compagnie, who reopened the building in 2012 as a community arts studio named 'The Citadel.' They now offer extracurricular dance classes for youth and run outreach initiatives, offering free studio access to local, non-profit, dance groups.

1990

Relocating Harbour Light.

In 2007, The Salvation Army Citadel (est. circa 1912)

on 304 Parliament Street in Regent Park sold to Citadel + Compagnie, who reopened the building in 2012 as a community arts studio named 'The Citadel.' They now offer extracurricular dance classes for youth and run outreach initiatives, offering free studio access to local, non-profit, dance groups.

© Downtown East

The Salvation Army, 2020

Charitable no. 107951618 RR 0542

Phone #

416-304-1982

Address 

#102-7 Labatt Avenue, Toronto, ON

M5A 1Z1

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • YouTube